>> May 4, 2012
For the sponge :
- Eggs - 4 nos
- Sugar - 125 gms (5/8 cup)
- Vanilla sugar - 1 tsp
- All purpose flour - 100 gms (1 cup)
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Cornflour - 50 gms (1/3 cup)
For the vanilla butter cream :
- Custard powder (vanilla flavored) - 40 g (5 tbsp)
- Sugar - 80 gms (3/8 cup)
- Milk - 500 ml (21/4 cups)
- Butter - 250 gms
For the cake :
1. Grease the bottom of the baking pan & line with parchment paper. Preheat the oven about 180 C.
2. Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until foamy. Mix together the sugar and vanilla sugar, sprinkle into the eggs while the eggs while stirring for few mins.
3. Mix together the flour, baking powder and cornflour and whisk into the egg mixture on the lowest setting. Transfer the batter into the pan & bake for about 25 mins.
For the butter cream :
4. Make a custard with the custard powder, sugar and milk, following the instructions on the packet, but with 80 gms sugar. Allow the custard to cool
5. Whisk the butter until smooth. Then add the cooled custard to the softened butter a tablespoon at a time. Make sure that both the butter and custard are at room temperature or the butter cream may curdle.
6. Put the bottom layer on a cake platter, spread the jam on top, then cover with a generous quarter of the butter cream. Put the next layer on top, press down lightly and spread just under half the remaining butter cream on it. Finally put the top layer on top and press lightly.
7. Now coat the top and sides of the cake with a thin, even layer of the remaining butter cream. Decorate & refrigerate.
Happy baking :)