>> February 20, 2012
A basic butter cake has a moist, sweet crumb and is very versatile. We can flavor the batter with extracts & aromas, slice the cooled cake and fill it with cream, preserves, or fruit, glaze or frost it, or simply enjoy a plain slice with a cup of tea or coffee. They are not hard to make, her is my favorite, never-fail recipe.
- All purpose flour - 3 cups (450 gms)
- Baking powder - 1 tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Butter - 1 cup (250 gms)
- Sugar - 2 cups ( 400 gms)
- Vanilla extract - 2 tsps
- Large eggs, seperated - 4 nos
- Milk - 1 cup
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F/ 180 C. Line the baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt in a large bowl. Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until creamy.
3. Add the eggs yolks one at a time, beating until just blended after each addition. Gradually beat in the mixed dry ingredients, alternating with the milk.
4. In another bowl, using a clean beater, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Use a large spatula to fold the into the batter. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
5. Bake for 45-55 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool the cake completely & serve.
Happy baking :)