>> December 27, 2011
Good, healthy and nutritious vegetable. Due to medical values, we try to have it once in a week. Boiling and deep frying the bitter gourd removes the bitterness and taste delicious with rice and rotis.
- Bittergourd - 100 gms
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Onion - 2 large sized
- Tamarind pulp - 1 tsp
- Jaggery (or sugar) - 1/4 tsp
For Dry roast :
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Black pepper corns - 1 tsp
- Corriander seeds - 1 tsp
- Red chillies to spice (arround 3 to 4)
- Ginger - 1 inch piece
- Garlic - 2 pods
Grind them to smooth paste by adding little water.
1. Boil the water and switch off the flame. Put the chopped bitter gourd in the water & cover it for 10 mins.
2. Drain the bitter gourd and deep fry them in the oil. Keep aside.
3. Heat oil in the pan, add onions and saute till tender.
4. Add the grounded paste, tamarind pulp & cook.
5. Add the fried bitter gourd and jaggery & cook for another 5 mins on low flame.
Serve with rice.