>> July 28, 2010
One best occasion to buy all our favourite things is the birthday. Yes, last week I celebrated my birthday with lotz of surprise gifts from pravin & wishes all around. I was totally thrilled & amazed this time. I made this simple & tasty moong dal halwa for the dessert for the celebration. It was absolutely divine, very rich & creamy. Pravin was totally surprised "It's a home made"... Awesome sweet.
- Moong dal - 3/4 cup
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Ghee - 1/2 cup
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
- Saffron strands - few
- Milk kova - 2 tbsp (optional)
- Cashews & raisins (roasted in ghee) for garnishing
1. Dry roast the lentil (moong dal) slightly till light golden brown & soak in the water for 8 hrs preferably overnight.
2. Grind the soaked dal to a paste.
3. Heat 1/4 cup of ghee in the non-stick pan, add the dal paste. Stir continuously on low flame, not allowing lumps to form.
4. When the dal becomes thick add the remaining ghee & keep stirring.
5. Meanwhile, boil the milk & sugar in a separate pan. Add cardamom powder & saffron to it.
6. When the ghee starts oozing out the dal, add the milk slowly. Keep stirring, not allowing lumps to form again.
8. Finally, add the milk kova & cook until the halwa don't stick in the pan (till creamy texture).
8. Garnish with the roasted nuts.