>> January 31, 2009
- 3 cups parboiled rice
- 1 ¼ cup urad dal (black gram)
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Curd - 1/2cup
- 1 tbsp cashew nuts
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 green chillies
- Ginger - 1 tsp (finely chopped)
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Pepper - 2 tsp
- Jeera - 3 tsp
- Curry leaves - few leaves
- Gingely oil - 4 tbsp
- salt to taste
- Soak the rice and urad dal separately in water for 4 hrs. Drain off the water and grind each of these to a batter, adding some water if necessary.
- Mix the two batters, salt & curd.Allow it to ferment for 7-8 hrs.
- Heat 4 tbsp of oil and splutter mustard seeds, asafoetida, cashew nuts, pepper, jeera, ginger, curry leaves,green chillies in it.Switch off the flame and add ghee.
- Mix this with idli batter thoroughly.
- Pour this batter into the idli moulds and steam it for 10-15 mins or until cooked.
Enjoy this soft & fluffy kancheepuram idli with "Gaati chutney"