>> September 15, 2009
Kozhukattai is famous South indian sweet made especially during vinayaga chaturthi. Different variety of kozhukattai with different stuffings will be offered to the Lord ganesha during the pooja. This is all time favourite sweet & have no counts on how much balls I eat. It taste yummy :)
- Raw rice - 1 cup
- Water - 2 cup
- Salt -1/4 tsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp + 1 tbsp
- Grated coconut - 1 cup
- Jaggery - 3/4 to 1 cup (according to ur sweet tooth)
- Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- Cashewnuts - 1 tbsp
1. Clean and soak the rice for atleast 2 hrs. Preferably overnight.
2. Grind the soaked rice in 1 cup of water.
3. Heat 1 cup of water in the heavy bottomed pan, add 1 tbsp of oil. Once the water starts boiling, add the rice batter. Stir continously to avoid any lumps. Cook for 4 min or till it forms the dough consistency.
4. Knead the dough and make small balls out of this.
5. Meanwhile, heat ghee in the pan and fry the grated coconut. Keep aside.
6. In the seperate pan, add the jaggery & 1 tsp of water. Keep stiring till it dissolved. Strain the jaggery water to remove dust if any.
7. Now add the strained jaggery to the frying coconut. Add cardamom powder. Keep stiring.
8. In a seperate pan, fry the cashewnuts and add them to the coconut mixture.
9. Make a small balls out of coconut mixture & stuff them inside the rice balls. Grease your hands with oil.
10. Steam cook the sweet balls for 5 min or till done.