>> September 22, 2009
Kootu is my favourite side dish for kara kulambu. I make it little thick to serve as side dish & little thin for kulambu. Chow chow which is also called as bangalore kathirikai is cooked very often in most of the south indian kitchens. Can substitute chow chow with other vegetables too.
- Chow chow - 1
- Channa dal (or moong dal) - 2 tbsp
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Jeera (cumin seeds ) - 1 tsp
- Red chillies to spice - 3 to 4 nos
- Onion - 1/2
- Garlic - 4 pods
- Curry leaves - 1 tbsp
- Jeera powder - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Grated coconut - 1/2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- Corriander leaves for garnishing.
1. Pressure cook the dal. Keep aside.
2. Remove the skin of chow chow & cut them to small cubes.
3. Heat oil in the pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies & curry leaves.
4. Add finely chopped onion, garlic pods, turmeric powder & vegetable. Cover and cook till tender.
5. Once cooked, add dal, grated coconut, jeera powder, water & salt to taste. Simmer for 4 mins. Finally add ghee & switch off the flame.
Garnish with corriander leaves.