>> March 3, 2009
France is meant for his beauty & food. One such wonderful dish is "Tomatoes a la Provencale" which means baked tomatoes in breadcrumbs & garlic. One of the fav starter for pravin, to whom I m dedicating this tooo:)
He likes this, especially when garnished with melted cheese on top. It taste awesome, with cheese & herbs in the softened tomatoes.
This serve as a different starter & its quite easy to prepare with ingredients in hand. Yeah! we can add some more spices (optional) like chilly powder & garam masala to bring the Indian touch. This would be a great treat for vegetarians.
To make it rich, can serve with cheese (bake it for further 3 min (till cheese melts)). It taste YUM !!!!
- 6 firm ripe fleshy tomatoes (about 2 lb)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp minced fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1 clove garlic, mashed
- 3 tbsp minced shallots
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of thyme
Directions to cook :
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Remove the stems of the tomatoes. Cut the tomatoes in two half. Squeeze out seeds and juice. Add salt and pepper.
- Blend the rest of the ingredients together in a bowl. Fill each of the tomatoes with the mixture. Sprinkle the tomatoes with olive oil.
- In a baking dish arrange the tomatoes not too close from each other.
- Bake the tomatoes in the oven at 400º (200ºC) for 15 minutes max.
Serve as a starter or as a side dish.