>> January 30, 2009
My father was grown up in ananthapur district in AP,India. My grandma is an expert in preparing spicy and delicious thooku varieties. This thokku is one of her speciality & can be preserved for a week in refrigerator. During my pregnancy days, this was a treat to my tongue. It taste delicious!!!
- 3 medium sized onions
- Garlic - 10 pods
- Tamarind - lemon sized
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp chilly powder
- 1/2 Fenugreek seed(Methi seeds)
- 1 tbsp curry leaves
- Oil - 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Soak the tamarind in the water & extract its pulp.
- Heat oil in the pan, fry onion & garlic till it becomes transparent. Grind them coarsely & keep aside.
- Roast & grind the mustard & methi seeds.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, add curry leaves, tamarind pulp, onion paste & spice powder.
- Add turmeric powder,chilly powder & salt to taste. Cook until it becomes thick.
Taste great with rice. Enjoy!