>> January 14, 2009
"May the sun radiate...
peace, Prosperity and
happiness in your life always......"
HAPPY PONGAL TO ALL MY VIEWERS .....
Rice payasam is one among my favourite & quickly becomes ur favourite too.... It's rice pudding typically made by boiling rice with milk and sugar. It is often flavored with cardamoms, saffron, pistachios or almonds. It’s a delightful dessert for anytime of the year and is served in almost many of Indian festivals & celebrations. While the dish is traditionally made with rice, it can also be made with other ingredients such as vermicelli (sayviah) which is a thin noodle.
My mom makes this with lots of nuts especially cashews & raisins, this add good flavour, aroma & richness to the rice pudding. Now, its my hubby fav too...
- Basmati rice - 1/2 cup
- Sugar - 1/2 cup (as per ur taste)
- Whole Milk - 4 cups plus coconut milk - 1/2 cup
- Cardomom powder- 1/2 tsp
- Broken cashews - 1 tsp
- Raisins - 1 tsp
- pistachio crushed - 1 tsp
- Saffron - a pinch
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Condensed milk - 3 tbsp
Ready to eat :
- Wash & soak the rice for 1/2 hr in water.
- Boil the milk, in a heavy bootom pot. When the milk comes to a boil, add the rice & sugar and simmer. Stir to insure that the milk does not stick to the bottom.
- Cook till the rice is cooked and the milk thickens and reduces to half its original volume.
- Heat ghee on a low flame & add cashews, raisins and pistachios.
- Add the roasted nuts, cardomom powder, condensed milk in the payasam & mix well.
- Garnish it with a pinch of saffron & rose petals.
Enjoy this Pongal with this georgeous looking rice payasam & it taste yummy yummy.....