>> January 19, 2009
Rasam is a light lentil soup made almost everyday in my house. It is almost like a staple. Eaten with plain rice, it is eaten either to start or end a meal. Many people like to drink this wonderfully spicy yet light soup-like-daal.
Rasam powder is an important ingredient in the preparation of rasam,as it adds flavour and fragrance to rasam.It is easy to prepare. The powder can be prepared and stored for 6 to 12 months. You can also buy the ready powder but then you are missing the fun and the lovely aroma of the freshly made rasam podi as it is called.
Here is the recipe for rasam powder from my mom's kitchen.
- Bengal gram dal (urad dal) - 1 Tsp
- Coriander seeds - 100 gms
- Cumin seeds - 3 tsp
- Red chilly - 100 gms
- fenugreek seeds(methi) – ½ tsp
- Black pepper - 3 tsp
- Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - a small bunch
- Garlic - 4 pods
- Oil, 1 tsp
- Spray oil in a non-stick frying pan and roast each of the above ingredients till they turn aromatic.
- Mix all the ingredients and grind into a fine powder using a grinder.