>> January 12, 2009
My mom use to make this payasam very often to us as a evening snack. This is a very easy preparation and it takes very less time to prepare it & has high protein content and jaggery is good for health when compared to sugar.This can be either served hot or cold.
- Yellow Moong Dal - 1 cup
- Jaggery - 250gms or as per taste
- Coconut milk: 1 cup
- Water - 2 cups (plus 1/2 cup)
- Cashew nuts - 10 nos
- Cardamom Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Dessicated coconut - 1 tsp
- Saffron (optional)
- In a heavy bottom pan, dry roast the Dal till it emits pleasant aroma, and the Dal turns light pink in color.
- Add 2 cups of water to roasted dal & cook till well done (mashed consistency).
- In another pan heat the jaggery along with some water (1/2 cup). Bring it to a boil. Strain to remove any particles. When done add this to the cooked Dal & cook for some more time till it is semisolid paste.
- Add the cardamom powder and coconut milk and heat.
- Fry the nuts, coconut and the dried fruit in the ghee and add to the payasam.
Garnish it with saffrons on top. Can replace moong dal with channa dal for different flavour with other ingredients remaining same.
Serve this either hot or cool.