>> January 13, 2009
"Eat vada, it is very nice. Also have some sambar, you will love it." Thus spoke former Indian President, Dr. Abdul Kalam, in a land that normally considers whale steak as a national delicacy.
Medu vada is a traditional south indian food which is prepared especially during festival seasons. I still remember as kids we would be thrilled when my mom prepares it using banana leaf for special poojas in home & it taste heaven. Intially when I started making this, I would struggle to get them into those wonderful doughnut in shapes but now it looks wonderful & taste delicious.
- 1 Cup Urad Dhal without skin
- 1/2" Ginger -finely chopped
- 3-4 Green Chillies chopped (as per ur taste)
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves chopped
- 1/2 Onion chopped
- 1/4 Cup chopped Coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp coarsly grated coconut (For additional flavour)
- 4 Pepper corns
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
2. Add chopped onion, curry leaves, peppercorns, corriander leaves, ginger pcs, coconut & salt to taste to the urad dal & mix well.
3. Heat oil in the pan. Wet your palm. Take a dollop of batter(lemon size), put it in your wet palm, flatten to a round shape & make a hole in the center with your finger. Dry fry them till golden brown & crispy.
Serve hot with coconut chutney & sambhar.