>> January 28, 2009
Kadai Chicken is one of the recipes that is probably available in every restaurant in India, especially in virudhunagar hotel in chennai they serve this dish in copper based kadai, which looks opt to its name. It's fairly easy to make & taste YUM!!!
The marinated chicken was soft and succulent, the overall flavor fragrant and delicious. My family likes to have this with naan or roties along with onion raita.
- 1.5 lbs Chicken
- 2 medium onions - finely chopped
- 2-3 tomatoes - finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper- finely chopped
- 1 green chilli - slit
- 1 dry red chilli
- 1 1/2 tbsp Yogurt
- 1 1/2 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1" cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cloves
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp kasoori methi
- Finely chopped corriander leaves - 2 tbspSalt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- Clean and marinate chicken with salt, and half of turmeric, chilli and garam masala powder for 4-5 hours and then lightly saute the chicken and set it aside.
- In a deep pan, heat oil and temper it with cumin seeds, red chilli, green chilli, cinnamon, cloves and cardamons. Let it sputter. Then add the ginger garlic paste.
- Add the onions and saute till the onion turns brown. Then add the tomatoes and green peppers and cook on closed lid till the tomatoes turn soft.
- Add the chicken pieces along with the rest of the masalas - turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, kasoori methi and cook for 15-20 minutes. Then add the yogurt, salt and let it cook for another 15-20 minutes till the chicken is cooked. Add 1/2 cup water if needed.
Serve hot kadai chicken with rotis, naan or rice.